The cooler weather undoubtedly means soup weather. This soup is a great recipe for kids with its sweet flavour from the corn lots of chunky chicken pieces. A perfect defence to launch against winter coughs and sniffles with beautiful immune-boosting ingredients such as onion, garlic, ginger and mushrooms, and even better if you are using an organic bone broth for added gut immunity. Freeze into portions for quick lunches, and send hot in a thermos for kids. This soup also works well with a few handfuls of baby spinach or another shredded dark leafy green added towards the end of cooking time.
Lactose Free | Grain Free | Gluten free | Nut Free Option | Dairy Free Option | Low Salicylate Options | Amine Friendly | Low Oxalate | Allergen Alert: Eggs
Family friendly | Freezable | Leftovers | Lunch | Dinner
Preparations time: 10mins
Cooking time: 15 mins
1 tbsp olive oil
1 small brown onion, finely chopped
3 cloves garlic, finely chopped or minced
3 tbsp grated fresh ginger
1.5L organic chicken or vegetable stock or homemade bone broth
4 corn cobs, kernals removed
500g chicken (leftover cooked chicken is best here), shredded
4 shiitake mushrooms, sliced
1 egg, beaten (optional)
1 bunch green/spring onions, white and green parts sliced
Soy sauce or coconut aminos, fresh coriander leaves to serve
- Heat oil in a large saucepan and add brown onion, stirring until softened.
- Add garlic and ginger and stir to heat through.
- Add stock or broth and bring to a gentle simmer.
- Meanwhile, put half the corn kernels into a blender with a tablespoon or two of water and blend until pureed.
- Add the whole and pureed corn kernels, shredded chicken and mushrooms and simmer for around 10 minutes until heated through.
- Briskly whisk the soup while adding the beaten egg (if desired) for around a minute until delicate egg ribbons form.
- Add in the green onions and remove the soup from the heat.
- Serve with a splash of soy sauce of coconut aminos and a sprinkle of coriander leaves if desired.
Variations & Substitutions
For an egg free option, simply omit the eggs. Add some leftover quinoa or tofu to replace the protein.
For a low salicylate option, omit the ginger.