Preparation time: 10mins
3 cups leftover cooked chicken, chopped or shredded
3-4 celery sticks, finely diced
¼ red onion, finely diced
¼ cup flat leaf parsley or chives (or a combination), finely chopped
1 cup mixed seeds (pumpkin, sunflower, poppy, flax), roughly chopped
½ cup Greek yoghurt
½ avocado, mashed
2 tsp Dijon mustard
1 tsp apple cider vinegar
1 tbsp capers, finely chopped, optional
Sliced sourdough, mountain bread or your preferred vessel
Iceberg lettuce, baby spinach, watercress or rocket
- Combine all the salad ingredients into a bowl and mix gently until well coated.
- For best results for filling sandwiches, place in the fridge for at least an hour to chill (this makes the mixture easier to work with).
- Spread 3-4 tablespoonfuls of chicken salad onto your bread (or whatever you’re using), top with the leafy greens.
- For a vegan option, swap the chicken for mashed chickpeas and the Greek yoghurt for coconut (or other plant based yoghurt), or omit the yoghurt altogether and increase the avocado to one whole.
- For a hearty lunchbox salad, simply toss the chicken salad through the leafy greens and add about a cup of cooked and cooled quinoa or brown rice.
- Also delicious with a few sliced red grapes.