We love this recipe for so many reasons. It’s delicious (it tastes like brownie batter), it’s a great source of protein, fibre and heathy fats (chickpeas and tahini… we see you!), it takes minutes to prepare, and the kids will be beside themselves when they find it in their lunchbox.
It’s also a good source of iron, magnesium and vitamin B6 (that’s a hard yes to your sneaky snacking, Mum!!).
Perfect for your kids to dip their favourite fruit (pear, strawberries and super ripe pineapple are amazing), or even on a slice of toasted sourdough (a far better alternative to other store-bought chocolate spreads. Chocolate Hummus is also a great sweet alternative for a dip that’s ideal for sharing at parties (when we get back there, Melbourne), or a sneaky doormat drop to cheer up a neighbour.
Note: contains tahini – avoid with sesame allergies.
Healthy Breakfast | Vegan | Dairy Free | High Fibre | Nut Free | Vegetarian | Lactose Free | Soy Free | Egg Free | Wheat Free | Bulk Recipe
Preparation Time: 5mins
400g can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
4 tbsp tahini
4 tbsp maple syrup (or to taste)*
1/2 cup cacao powder
1 tsp vanilla
For serving: sliced fruit, sourdough toast
- Place all of the ingredients into a food processor and process until combined. You may need to scrape the sides occasionally to make sure all of the mixture is incorporated.
- The mixture will be quite dry, so slowly add some water, a tablespoon at a time, processing in between each addition until it reaches the consistency you love. I like mine quite thick, like a brownie batter, but your kids might prefer it a little thinner for easier dipping.
- The maple syrup can be adjusted to your taste, however there is a ‘sweet-spot’ where the maple changes it from very-chickpea, to delicious dip, so keep tasting as you go.
- The dip can be stored in a sealed jar in the fridge for about a week.
- Try swirling through some peanut or other nut butter if tolerated for something different (maybe on weekends or if your school is nut friendly).
Recipe by Bree Jenner – The Simple Lunchbox 2020