Beetroot, with its gorgeous colour, is no longer the pickled and tinned condiment that just jazzes up a burger (although, we wouldn’t have our burgers any other way). Rich in essential vitamins, minerals and potent phytonutrients (plant nutrients), beetroot is finding its way into delicious healthy recipes, both sweet and savoury.
In a half cup serve of beetroot (raw), your body will benefit from:
- 18% of your daily recommended folate requirements for healthy cell growth and development
- 2g fibre to support digestion and help rid your body of waste
- 3g vitamin C to boost immune function over the cold winter months
- 11% of your daily recommended manganese requirements for healthy bones and regulation of blood sugar levels.
Beetroot is also a good source of magnesium and iron.
Farmers markets are loaded with fresh beetroot at this time of year, and if you’re lucky you can get your hands on some of the different coloured heirloom varieties, in yellows, pinks and stripes. If you manage to pick up a bunch or two, try out these ideas.
- Red Velvet Smoothie
- Beetroot Feta and Mint Salad
- Roast Beetroot Dip
- Beetroot Slaw
- Choc Beetroot Muffins