We love making our own chocolate! Chocolate crackles have long been a family favourite, but we’ve given it a bit of a facelift. We’ve added in some extras that have a few more nutritional benefits, and we enjoy them as a sweet treat. We’ve made ours simply in a mini muffin pan, but you could also pour your chocolate mixture into other molds, such as silicon shapes, or into a large tray where you could cut into squares once the mixture has set.
If you’re looking for other delicious bites to make with your mini muffin tray, check out out Mini ebook on the shop page.
You can buy all of the ingredients you’ll need from The Source Bulk Foods.
200g cacao butter or coconut oil
¼ cup cacao or unsweetened cocoa
2 tablespoons sweetener (honey, maple or rice malt syrup)
Tiny pinch salt
1 cup puffed quinoa, rice or buckwheat (or a mixture)
¼ cup goji berries (or your favourite dried fruit – dried cranberries and cherries work well)
¼ cup pumpkin seeds (or your favourite seeds – sunflower and chia work well)
- In a small saucepan, melt the cacao butter or coconut oil over low heat.
- Once melted, stir in cacao powder, sweetener, and salt until well combines and smooth.
- Stir through the puffed quinoa, fruit, and seeds.
- Pour chocolate mixture into mini muffin tray and chill in the freezer as soon as possible.
- You could swap the quinoa for any other puffed grain such as brown rice, or grain-free options such as buckwheat.
- You can omit the dried fruit and experiment with other nuts or seeds.