So we got an air fryer for Christmas, and it’s living up to the hype! 5 minutes preparation, 15 minutes in the air fryer while you have a cuppa, and done. Tender cauliflower and slightly crunchy chickpeas, creamy hummus, little pops of sweetness and some fresh greens. It’s an all-rounder!
This salad is really versatile too. I love the Middle Eastern flavours, but you could use whatever spices you enjoy and add a few of those sad crisper veggies as suggested below.
Buy your own pre-made hummus to save yourself some time if you’re in a hurry, or use our Simple Hummus recipe.
* I’ve added 1/2 teaspoon of garlic powder to the mix, but you could go up to tablespoons… I would know, that’s what I did. Inadvertently. But it was delicious anyway. Haha!
1/4 head cauliflower, cut into small florets
1 small can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
1/2 tsp smoked paprika
1/2 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp ground coriander
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp onion powder
1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
Salt and pepper to taste
1 large handful dark leafy greens (baby spinach, rocket, shredded kale, etc), roughly chopped
1/4 cup hummus
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the cauliflower, chickpeas, paprika, cumin, coriander, onion and garlic powders, salt and pepper. Mix well until the cauliflower and chickpeas are well coated.
- Cook in the airfryer at 200C for 15 minutes, shaking the basket 2-3 times throughout cooking to avoid burning.
- Meanwhile, assemble the rest of the salad in your serving bowl; chopped greens, drizzle over the hummus and scatter over the pomegranate arils.
- Once cooked, pour the cooked cauliflower and chickpea mix over the salad and toss to coat with the hummus.
- Add a serve of grains if you wish for extra fibre and B vitamins, and to bulk out the meal. Freekeh, quinoa, brown rice or buckwheat grouts would be lovely.
- Also delicious with some grilled halloumi or crumbled feta.
Add more plants #diverse30:
- Add 1/2 cup drained and rinsed brown lentils
- No pomegranate? Try a couple of teaspoons of dried currants, chopped dried cranberries or dried figs.
- Add diced pumpkin or broccoli florets to the cauliflower mix before placing in the air fryer.
- Sprinkle with pumpkin seeds for some crunch.
- Add more protein with diced tempeh mixed in with the cauliflower mixture before air frying.
- Go green with our green hummus recipe for some added veg.